The Board of Managers, Buffalo-Red River Watershed District (BRRWD), held their regular meeting on March 8, 2021, at 7:00 PM in Barnesville. The Managers received an update on the Wilkin Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) 2020 Cover Crop Incentive Program. The SWCD staff worked with local landowners to implement best management practices to improve general soil health. The program participation grew from 14 contracts for 700 enrolled acres in 2019 to 48 contracts for 2,193 acres in 2020. The BRRWD agreed to support the 2021 Wilkin County’s Cover Crop Incentive Program with a $25,000 contribution.
Other Business included:
- Reviewed the BRRWD’s 3/08/21 financial report. Cash on hand is $2,648,132.60. Income received since the 2/22/21 meeting totals $4,077.13, and for the year, totals $485,998.06. Year to date Accounts Receivables total $14,352,296.43. The Board approved bills totaling $284,107.22.
- Authorized signature of the grant agreement with the Wilkin SWCD to costshare the buffer installation and channel repair on Wilkin County Ditch (C.D.) No. 27. The County Highway Department completed the channel repair and the Wilkin SWCD completed the buffer seeding in 2020.
- Approved permits to Steve Thompson to install 221 acres of pattern tile in the S½NE½ and the SE¼, Section 19, Barnesville Township, Clay County, outletting via a lift station to the north through an underground tile line across the neighboring property to Whisky Creek/Clay C.D. No. 34, subject to our standard tiling disclaimer; Clay County Highway Department to replace an existing corrugated metal pipe crossing on an unnamed creek approximately four miles northwest of Hawley in the SW¼, Section 19, Cromwell Township, with a 10′ x 5′ reinforced concrete box culvert and to grade the road to match existing conditions and riprap both ends of the culvert and on the channel banks to prevent scouring; Trygve Skolness to pattern tile the E½, Section 11, Moland Township, Clay County, with a lift station in the northeast corner of the NE¼, outletting to Clay C.D. No. 3, to which the land is assessed, subject to our standard tiling disclaimer and township approval to work within their road right-of-way; Doug Nordick to tile the E½, Section 25, Connelly Township, Wilkin County, via two outlets with control structures to Wilkin C.D. No. 12 via lift station and to Wilkin C.D. No. 28 via gravity to which the land is assessed, subject to our standard tiling disclaimer; Doug Nordick to pattern tile a portion of the W½, Section 23, Connelly Township, Wilkin County, west of Trunk Highway No. 9, outletting to the north with control structures to C.D. Nos. 28 and 31, to which the property is assessed, subject to our standard tiling disclaimer; and Kelly Nelson to install 160 acres of pattern tile in the NE¼, Section 26, Atherton Township, Wilkin County, outletting via gravity through an 18″ dia. non-perforated tile with a control structure to Project No. 31, Deerhorn Creek Levees, across neighboring property for approximately 250 yards, subject to our standard tiling disclaimer and coordination with the BRRWD to allow for supervision during installation of the tile through the project levee.
- Approved an Order to hold the Clay C.D. Nos. 2, 3, and 35 buffer hearings on April 8, 2021, at 6:00 PM in the Barnesville office, with virtual options, following COVID-19 protocols.
- Approved Project No. 14, Clay C.D. No. 10 repairs for two slope failure sites along C.D. No. 10 in Sections 15 and 17, Morken Township, Clay County. The cost estimate for the “West” site in Section 17 is $90,000-$100,000, and the “East” site in Section 15 is estimated to cost $25,000-$35,000.
- Approved Concordia College Biology Department request to place camera traps for a Conservation Biology course on the Oakport Prairie site, located immediately north of Wall Street AVE and west of County Highway No. 1 in March and April.
- Agreed to partner with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to submit a Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Council funding application to work on a series of culverts on the main stem of the Buffalo River that are considered barriers to fish migration.
- Authorized BRRWD Administrator Kristine Altrichter to sign a One Watershed, One Plan watershed-based funding grant agreement. The BRRWD has a Memorandum of Agreement with the other local government partner agencies, which will make $400,000 available for the BRRWD’s stream restoration related projects, as well as additional funding for other conservation practices in the watershed.
The Board of Managers, BRRWD, will hold their next regular meeting on Monday, March 22, 2021, at 7:00 PM in the BRRWD office, located at 1303 4th AVE NE, Barnesville, MN. Due to the COVID-19 emergency, meetings are conducted online in accordance with M.S.A Section 13D.021. The conference line phone number is 1-701-404-1699. Conference ID: 365 708 012#. If you wish to visit the BRRWD office in person, masks and social distancing are required. More information will be posted on the BRRWD’s website prior to the meeting at www.brrwd.org.